Are you among the gym enthusiasts heading to the growing number of Aussie gyms? The number of gyms in Australia has risen by over half in the last 12 years from 2,300 in 2005 to 3,400 in 2017. A major growing trend noted by Fitness Australia is the growth in 24 hour gyms for self-confident individuals and those that work long hours. Working out at the gym is a great quick intensive exercise option for those of us living plugged in busy lives.
Here are some tips to ensure the most effective workout:
- Put your phone down! Use a fitness app if you need to but then put it aside. Being mindful and present with your body and mind during a workout will ensure you reach your fitness goals more quickly.
- Take time to do some dynamic stretching to warm up, avoid injury, and have a better overall workout.
- Make a plan with your personal trainer (or online) for optimal results. Decide your goal: are you building strength, bulk, or leaning up? If you are new to the gym take the time with a fitness trainer to work out what program suits you, and most importantly, pay attention to postural advice to avoid injury.
- Steer clear of food to “reward yourself” after a workout! Milkshakes, chocolate, muffins, burgers and pizzas are not the most nutritional foods. Most likely you’ll put on more calories than you spent time burning!
- Swap your cardio workouts for some time outside. Melbourne is a beautiful place for cycling and walking, particularly in the early hours of the morning. Take the opportunity of living in this beautiful city, and spend some time cycling or running on paths through parks.
This is our considered but brief and light introduction to the topic. For further information please check out: